Monday, October 17, 2016

Cheap SD (Micro) Card for 4K on the 5D Mark IV

Sandisk 64GB Micro SD Card Records 1080 ALL-I and 4K Flawlessly

When I first bought the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, I was told that I would need to shell out for a specific SD card or a certain type of CF card to be able to record 4K video.

As I didn’t have either of those around, I tried a few of the cards that I did own and most didn’t work. However, one card in particular worked perfectly and I already had 5 of them that I use for my DJI X5 camera on the Inspire 1 drone (UAV).

I have also used two of this particular card in my Sony PMW EX1 (dual slot…needed both a Sony SxS and SD adapter) to record NON-STOP for 4 and a half days…108 hours with no problems whatsoever.

On top of that, I have one in my Go Pro HD Hero 4 Black and one in the new Go Pro HD Hero 5 Black.

This card is the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB MicroSD SDXC-1 (adapter comes with the card in most cases…genuine cards).

SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB microSDXC UHS-I/U3 Memory Card

I was out filming the Weymouth Beach Motocross event yesterday and the cards performed as always. Here is one particular clip from that event…

Anyway, I have just tested the record times with both 4K video and 1080/50p ALL-i (highest HD setting) and these are the results.

5D Mark IV 4K/1080p Record Times With 64GB Card

The 5D Mark IV recorded in 4K/25fps, until the card was full, for 16 minutes. Not very long but long enough for me to create a whole bunch of short, 30 second to one minute clips yesterday. Also good for 30 second, 4K stock video clips.

It recorded in 1080/50p ALL-i for the full limit of 29m 59s creating a file size of 39.4GB so I guess you could fit around 40-45 minutes on one 64GB card.

These cards are only $44 on Amazon US:

SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB microSDXC UHS-I/U3 Memory Card

…and £38 on Amazon UK:

SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB microSDXC UHS-I/U3 Memory Card

So, if you are only going to film short 4K bursts like myself (not longer, epic movie recording) with the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and don’t want to shell out hundreds of Pounds or Dollars on larger cards, grab a few of these, I simply cannot fault them whatever camera I put them in!

Sandisk MicroSD Card and 5D Mark IV 4K

Cheap SD (Micro) Card for 4K on the 5D Mark IV was last modified: October 17th, 2016 by Nick

Related posts:

Nikon D610 DSLR Camera

Review of the Go Pro Hero 4 (Black)

Video Editing Mistakes - No.1

Comments

comments

Let's block ads! (Why?)


All Things Photography Blog – All Things Photography http://ift.tt/2egghSs

Sourced by Time Trap Photography sharing the best photography tips, news and tricks throughout the industry. Time Trap Photography is dedicated to freezing those special moments in life that can be revisited and admired for generations to come. - Shannon Bourque
Please visit our main site for booking availability and rates.



"Time


Receive valuable industry knowledge delivered free to your email each day.


"Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. A moderator will review and approve all relevant posts. We appreciate your support and encourage you to stay with us by subscribing to our email updates. Where you can easily pick and choose what photography subjects interests you. Subscription link: http://bit.ly/photo-sub

About Us

Time Trap Photography is dedicated to freezing those special moments in life that can be revisited and admired for generations to come. - Shannon Bourque

The lens in focus

“Life is like a camera. Just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot.” — Unknown

TIME TRAP PHOTOGRAPHY COPYRIGHT 2016