Friday, September 30, 2016

DJI Mavic Pro vs DJI Phantom 4

So…Is the Mavic Producing Out of Focus Images or Not?

This whole drone business is a real “swings and roundabouts” affair right now.

Whilst the DJI Mavic appeared to be the new big thing and even “trumping” the Go Pro Karma, where it could fail for me is image quality…image quality is king in my world!

In this particular image quality test against the DJI Phantom 4 (video 1 below), the Phantom wins hands down…no contest. Or does it?

You need to watch all three videos below and read on to find out just how good the Mavic is. Never take the opinion of just one video, especially when the product is so new as your choice could be made on errors in judgement by the reviewer.

Anyway, it seems from this comparison that the Mavic is geared towards being a handy, take anywhere drone more for amateur, enthusiast and/or fun flyers.

Based on Casey’s video alone, I certainly wouldn’t use this as a back up or professional B-roll footage for my business. I’m not even sure I would want one now at all.

Casey says he would definitely sacrifice image quality for convenience any day of the week. Not me…

I would “re-compromise” between the two and settle for a Phantom 4 as B camera or dare I say it…

…the Go Pro Karma could win back the top spot for this category as we all know Go Pro cameras produce excellent 4K/1080p footage and I am guessing the Go Pro HD Hero 5 will surpass the quality of the HD Hero 4.

Check out the video:

Some people are saying that perhaps Casey didn’t focus correctly so I found this video from Digital Rev which backs him up with regards to image quality…but are they all missing something?

Again, the footage looks soft but in my experience, you need to dig a little further. When I first forked out nearly £2,000 for the X5 camera and Olympus lens for my Inspire 1, I was initially  disappointed by the results I was getting.

It took a little bit of research, a lot of tweaking, learning and practising until I finally nailed it and started getting perfectly sharp, superb 4K footage every time.

It seems this is also the case for the DJI Mavic. Whereas the Phantom 4 has full autofocus, the Mavic doesn’t. You need to tap the screen to focus like you would on a Smartphone. Once you do that, everything falls into place as you can see in this last video…

So there you have it. Even the most followed and popular YouTubers can get it wrong sometimes. It seems from all of this that the Mavic does actually produce super sharp 4K footage and in my opinion, it wins the day. I may even buy one myself.

I have a particular job at the moment that means me hiking about with a group of walkers all over the Purbecks in Dorset. They only really need 1080p output and rather than lugging the Inspire 1 plus batteries around all day, having the Mavic in my camera bag would make life soooo much easier!

Only time will tell which way popularity goes with regards to sales for these two drones.

DJI Mavic Pro vs DJI Phantom 4 was last modified: September 30th, 2016 by Nick

Related posts:

User Review on the Canon EOS 5D and Weddings

Nikon Coolpix P900 Superzoom

DJI Inspire 1 X5 Professional First Impressions

Comments

comments

Let's block ads! (Why?)


All Things Photography Blog – All Things Photography http://ift.tt/2cGABKY

Sourced by Time Trap Photography sharing the best photography tips, news and tricks throughout the industry. Time Trap Photography is dedicated to freezing those special moments in life that can be revisited and admired for generations to come. - Shannon Bourque
Please visit our main site for booking availability and rates.



"Time


Receive valuable industry knowledge delivered free to your email each day.


"Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. A moderator will review and approve all relevant posts. We appreciate your support and encourage you to stay with us by subscribing to our email updates. Where you can easily pick and choose what photography subjects interests you. Subscription link: http://bit.ly/photo-sub

About Us

Time Trap Photography is dedicated to freezing those special moments in life that can be revisited and admired for generations to come. - Shannon Bourque

The lens in focus

“Life is like a camera. Just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot.” — Unknown

TIME TRAP PHOTOGRAPHY COPYRIGHT 2016