Monday, April 29, 2019

HDR Photography – When is exposure bracketing necessary?

As nature photographers, we often find ourselves in front of a beautiful landscape scene with a wide range of tonal values. There might be shadowy rocks framing very bright waves in a beach scene. Maybe we are photographing a sunrise or sunset, where the sky is fairly bright but the landscape is not well-illuminated. Scenes like these often require multiple exposure and HDR Photography techniques to create a spectacular landscape photo that you envision.

So how do we know when we can get by with one exposure or when we need exposure bracketing?  This is a question I get asked a lot when working with students in the field.

HDR Photography example that may require exposure bracketing

Is exposure bracketing needed for this high dynamic range photo?

Do I need Exposure Bracketing?

This discussion today is much different than what I would have written just a few years ago. We have seen such incredible advances in sensor technology. Today’s cameras can capture detail in a much wider range of tonal values than they could 2-3 years ago. So perhaps this discussion is even more important now.

Three years ago, I bracketed a lot of my landscape shots–better safe than sorry. My advice then was to just set your camera to bracket three shots, 1-2 stops apart and deal with it later. Today, I analyze the scene in front of my camera, check my histogram, and bracket when it’s needed. I have less culling and less work when I get home but I still know when to bracket in the field.

First, realize that you need to understand the histograms in photography in order to determine the need for bracketing for HDR photography. Kate Silvia wrote an excellent article on histograms just a few weeks back, so take a few moments to check that out if you need a refresher on histograms: A Beginners Guide to Histograms in Photography

Using Your Histograms

Now that you understand histograms, let’s look at how to use them in the field to determine the need for HDR. When I am setting up a shot in the field, I begin with a base ISO for the cleanest image. I choose an aperture based on my desired depth of field, often f8-f16 for landscape shots. I then set the shutter speed as metered by the camera and take a shot. Next, I check for the highlight warming alert on the LCD, telling me that I have blown highlights. I adjust the shutter speed just until I see the tiniest indication of blown highlights. This gives me the best exposure with the most data and no risk of having no data in the lightest part of the image.

Once I have completed these steps, I check the histogram of the last image. I know that the histogram will probably be more towards the right, where the most data lives, because I adjusted the exposure to allow for this. Now, all I need to do is check the left side of the histogram for any indication that I have dark areas of the image with no data. If I find that I have climbed the left side of the histogram, thus having left those areas with no information, I know that I must bracket my shots in the field to get the full dynamic range of the scene. I will have a little work in post-processing, but I know I am going home with all the data I need to make a successful image with nice shadows and detail in the highlights.

Landscape Photos that require only One Exposure

First, let’s look at a RAW file and histogram that show me I can capture all the necessary data in one shot.

I determined an exposure that was as far to the right as I could go without climbing the wall of the histogram. I then checked the left side to be sure I wasn’t climbing. Note that both walls on the histogram do not show clipping, so I’m good with one shot.

  • Low Dynamic Range Landscape Photo - Devil's Bathtub, Hocking HIlls, Ohio.

    Low Dynamic Range Landscape Photo – Devil’s Bathtub, Hocking HIlls, Ohio.

  • Histogram in Photography without clipping

    Histogram indicates that there clipping on either side – Exposure Bracketing is not needed.

Landscape Photos that require Exposure Bracketing

Now, let’s look at a scene that has too much dynamic range to capture in one image. Here is a real-life example of this process, from initial exposure determination through HDR:

  • HDR Photography example with some clipping in highlights, Lower Falls, Ohio

    HDR Photography example with some clipping in highlights, Lower Falls, Ohio

  • Histogram showing very few details in shadow area - requires exposure bracketing for HDR Photography

    Histogram shows a steep climb on left side indicating that there is loss of details and contrast in shadow area.

I now realize that I have done all I can to capture and maintain detail in the highlights of the image. But the shadows are definitely too far to the left of the histogram. Therefore, while I’m at the scene with my camera on the tripod, I take another image to increase the exposure and get details in the shadows. I increase the shutter speed and check the histogram to get the following image.

  • HDR Photography example exposed for the Shadows, Cedar Falls, Ohio

    HDR Photography example exposed for the shadows by increasing the shutter speed, Cedar Falls, Ohio

  • Histograms in photography showing good details in shadow area.

    Histogram shows good exposure for the shadow area. but the right side is climbing slightly indicating loss of details contrast in highlights.

Traditionally, I capture three images during an exposure bracket sequence. It’s easy to do a “normal” exposure for the highlights and then one stop over and one stop under that setting. When I get back home, I decide which of the three images I want to use and do an HDR blend in LR. I have found that two images does a good job in LR. I rarely use the third one.

Here is the blended HDR photo right created in Lightroom:

  • HDR Photography example after a Lightroom Blend, Lower Falls, Ohio

    HDR Photography example after a Lightroom Blend, Lower Falls, Ohio

  • Histogram in photography showing good shadow and highlight details.

    Histogram of HDR photo shows no climb on either side with good shadow and highlight details.

I have had very good results with creating HDR images in Lightroom. I also have the added benefit of a RAW file to process.

After some work in LR and PS, here is the finished image. (I hate dead twigs! I am careful to clone or heal those out, especially when they intersect important parts of the image.)

HDR Photography Example with exposure bracketing, Lower Falls, Hocking Hills, Ohio

HDR Photography Example with exposure bracketing, Lower Falls, Hocking Hills, Ohio

Wrapping it Up

So that is my workflow, from start to finish. I am a very methodical photographer. I have formed what I think are good habits that allow me to make sure I go home with everything I need for a successful image in post-processing.

Hopefully this helps you figure out when you need to bracket and do HDR and when one shot will be good enough. Get in the habit of using your histogram to determine the proper exposure and need for HDR and I think you’ll be happier with your images.

About Author Jane Palmer

Jane Palmer divides her time between being a Nurse Anesthetist and a landscape and underwater photographer. A lifelong passion for nature and animals led her to spend more time outdoors with her camera, observing animal behavior and photographing them in action. She has been an avid underwater photographer for 10 years and recently began teaching photography. She often leads dive trips to exotic locations and assists divers who want to learn more about underwater photography. Jane currently lives in St. Louis MO with her husband, who loves scuba diving as well. Jane’s strong background in Lightroom and Photoshop allows her to help her underwater students get the most out of their images. So whether she is hiking in the Smokies or scuba diving in the Philippines, you can be sure Jane has her camera in hand to capture the beauty that nature provides for us.

Let's block ads! (Why?)


Visual Wilderness http://bit.ly/2UJViqE

Sourced by Time Trap Photography sharing the best photography tips, news and tricks throughout the industry. Time Trap Photography is dedicated to freezing those special moments in life that can be revisited and admired for generations to come. - Shannon Bourque
Please visit our main site for booking availability and rates.



"Time


Receive valuable industry knowledge delivered free to your email each day.


"Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. A moderator will review and approve all relevant posts. We appreciate your support and encourage you to stay with us by subscribing to our email updates. Where you can easily pick and choose what photography subjects interests you. Subscription link: http://bit.ly/photo-sub

About Us

Time Trap Photography is dedicated to freezing those special moments in life that can be revisited and admired for generations to come. - Shannon Bourque

The lens in focus

“Life is like a camera. Just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot.” — Unknown

TIME TRAP PHOTOGRAPHY COPYRIGHT 2016