Monday, April 24, 2017

Do I Need A New Camera?

Personally I found this decision-making process to be a bit stressful. I want to share some of my thoughts to help others navigate though their camera purchasing experience.

I was shooting with a Canon 5D Mark II for about six years and was content for the first couple of years because I was learning. It was a great tool with which to develop my creative vision.  There were a few deciding factors that helped push me to upgrade. Last month I took the plunge and got a new Canon 5D Mark IV. The photographs in this article were all shot using my new camera and I’m very happy with my decision.

DuneFB

How Do You Know It’s Time to Upgrade?

Frustration

About three years into using my 5DII, I started to get frustrated with my camera. I was disappointed with the results in regards to dynamic range and noise and was feeling limited by my tools. I borrowed my partner’s Nikon D800 when I accidentally broke some of my gear on a trip to Maui. After I saw the files the Nikon produced compared to my Canon 5DII, I knew it was time to upgrade. I had camera envy. When you begin to feel frustrated or limited by what you can produce with your tools, then its time.

When Things Fall Apart

Frankly, I abuse my gear. I live in a very salty environment that is not forgiving to anything I own. Most items, electronic or not, have a short life span. My camera was starting to die. Small things stopped working. The “live view” button fused. The camera hot shoe rusted out. When the camera finally lost the ability to turn off because the button broke, I knew it was time. I also knew it was not worth mailing to Canon to get fixed because of my insurance deductible. Since I considered my camera to be obsolete technology, what was the point of putting more money into it? I chose to keep it as a back-up camera.

PaintedhorizonFB

How to Pick the Right Camera?

I posted a thread on Facebook on deciding which machine to buy; I received over 100 responses from fellow photographers. Do I stay with Canon? Do I switch to Nikon? Sony? The mass amounts of responses actually made my decision harder to make. Everyone has an opinion on what is best and all those opinions are different. The purchasing decision was giving me a migraine.

The most important thing is to pick a tool that fits YOUR needs and YOUR budget. So I made a list of the things that were important to me:

  1. Durability
  2. Dynamic Range
  3. Weight
  4. Noise and ISO
  5. Keeping my Canon lenses
  6. Wanting to learn to shoot video

So I automatically eliminated Nikon. I just didn’t want to go through the process of selling and buying new lenses. It is also extremely heavy. Then I eliminated Sony. While it fit my needs regarding weight and dynamic range, I was really concerned with durability. Canon 5DIV still seemed to fit my overall needs.

patterns

What to Look For in a New Camera?

Well, that depends on your needs. Here are a few things to consider:

Budget – Figure out the most you can spend. This can eliminate a lot of options and quickly narrow down your choices. Don’t put yourself in massive debt purchasing something you don’t really need. The most expensive isn’t always the best.
Dynamic Range – Yes, its important to have a camera with amazing DR for landscape photography. Is it the MOST important thing to you or is something else? For me it was durability.
Weight –  Are you going to be backpacking? Are you just taking short day hikes? Do you have a bad back where carrying around a heavy pack is an issue?
Subject – Are you photographing just landscapes? Are you photographing animals/birds at high speeds? Are you dabbling in portrait photography or weddings? Sports events? Are you shooting 4K video? Some cameras are better than others at each of these items. What is your primary need? Where do you see yourself expanding and wanting to learn in the future?

treelightFb

I would suggest making a list of your priorities and intended use of the new camera. Do your own research and ask for advice. Find a friend to let you borrow and test out cameras or rent them. If you are going around in circles trying to decide between two cameras, go test each one out. Something will pop up that will make the decision obvious for you. Most importantly, don’t stress. Buying new toys is supposed to be fun and exciting!

About Author Lace Andersen

Lace Andersen is a Kauai-based landscape photographer. She grew up in the farm town of Templeton, California and majored in Graphic Communications. She started taking basic photography classes in 2008, and discovered her passion to create and be outdoors. The major turning point in her life was April 2012 during a family vacation to Kauai. She decided to rent her own car and spend the entire week photographing the island from sunrise to sunset. It was a life changing experience. Kauai either accepts you or spits you back out. Lace was lucky to be accepted by the island and relocated immediately. She has built an award winning portfolio over the past four years and has been published numerous times. When she doesn’t have a camera in hand, you can find her hiking with friends, camping, and playing ultimate frisbee.

Let's block ads! (Why?)


Visual Wilderness http://ift.tt/2p9wha3

Sourced by Time Trap Photography sharing the best photography tips, news and tricks throughout the industry. Time Trap Photography is dedicated to freezing those special moments in life that can be revisited and admired for generations to come. - Shannon Bourque
Please visit our main site for booking availability and rates.



"Time


Receive valuable industry knowledge delivered free to your email each day.


"Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. A moderator will review and approve all relevant posts. We appreciate your support and encourage you to stay with us by subscribing to our email updates. Where you can easily pick and choose what photography subjects interests you. Subscription link: http://bit.ly/photo-sub

About Us

Time Trap Photography is dedicated to freezing those special moments in life that can be revisited and admired for generations to come. - Shannon Bourque

The lens in focus

“Life is like a camera. Just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot.” — Unknown

TIME TRAP PHOTOGRAPHY COPYRIGHT 2016